Reaction Vs Response


A group of girls went to a hotel and started enjoying their party. Suddenly, a cockroach fell down on one of a girl. She started screaming and jumping out with fear. By seeing her reaction, her friends also started to scream for help. But somehow she threw it on her friend. Now it’s her chance to do the same thing. In the meantime, the waiter rushed into the scene for the rescue. As the girls were screaming and throwing the cockroach on one another, at last it fell on the waiter who came for rescue. Instead of screaming like the girls, he stood firm, composed himself and started observing the behavior of the cockroach. He grabbed it with his hand and threw it outside.

Sitting on another table, sipping my coffee and watching the whole scene, my mind started analyzing the whole thing. Was the cockroach responsible for the strange behavior of girls? If so, then why was the waiter not disturbed? He handled it with ease and confident without any panic. Later, my mind understood that it is not the cockroach but the inability of the girls to handle the disturbance caused by the cockroach that disturbed the ladies.

I realized even in my case then, it is not the shouting of my father that disturbs me, but it’s my inability to handle the disturbances caused by their shouting that disturbs me.

It’s not the traffic jams on the road that disturbs me, but my inability to handle the disturbance caused by the traffic jam that disturbs me.

That means, more than the problems, it’s my reaction to the problems that hurts me.

I understood that not to react in my life but to respond for the problems. The women reacted, whereas the waiter responded. Reactions are always instinctive whereas responses are always intellectual...


Paul Joshua

I am Paul Joshua working as a Technical Writer. I love writing small stories which inspires me and an inspiration to many. This is the blog which have many of them which definitely inspires you. Happy Reading Fellas.

No comments:

Post a Comment